FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Necrotic stench in the First class cabin
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:39 am
transportprof

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Unhappy Necrotic stench in the First class cabin

My first flight of 2018 was memorable, but not in a good way. I was on UA298 YVR-ORD and about 10 minutes after the guy in the adjacent seat arrived, I began to notice the most revolting smell. It was somewhere between sewer gas and a dead animal behind the wallboards. It was intermittent throughout the next three hours of the flight, and it was only as we deplaned that the woman across the aisle commented that she could barely keep her meal down during the flight because of the stench. I wasn't far behind her in the struggle against tossing my cookies!

Could there have been a problem with the ventilation? Or in the front galley? Or was it just my seat mate who brought these odors aboard. If the latter, that guy needs medical help! But if it's the former, then United needs to decontaminate that aircraft pronto. Because I was unsure if it was the pax next to me, I didn't discuss with the FAs, who behaved as if everything was normal during the flight. They must have smelt the same thing as the rest of the gagging pax in F did.

What do FT sages advise as an appropriate course of (in)action regarding this malodorous melodrama?