FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:15 pm
arollins

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Cygnet
Is there any reason to be concerned that last-minute AA eShopping or eDining activity won't count towards keeping miles from expiring, based on transaction date? Yup, read the Wiki, hundreds of posts, etc. Just checking for any possible recent rule changes, exceptions, experiences? (And being the weekend, no one to talk to at AA.)

Have a huge amount of miles expiring today. (Yeah, I know, last-minute; in my defense, the trips that were planned last year that would have taken care of this got cancelled, and with the holidays, etc., extending completely slipped my mind.) Did several AA eShopping purchases last 4 days (in-store pickups, online delivery orders, and so forth), and an AA eDine, too. Dining hasn't shown up on the aa.rewardsnetwork.com affiliate site yet, and the eShopping purchases are showing as "pending" on aadvantageeshopping.com, with various transaction and post dates before today. And of course, nothing showing as posted on aa.com itself, yet.

What I'm trying to decide if I that's enough, or should I go ahead and do something that would for-sure post as an immediate extendable activity (i.e. buy/share miles, etc.)? And if so, what? Hate to do something more desperate (buying miles, transferring, etc.) that costs $ or wastes miles, but will if it's a choice of that or pay thou$ands to reinstate.

Also should mention, discovered a very old (16+ mo.) rental car bonus miles transaction that didn't get credited. Car rental company is working on it, but it'll be the usual 30-90 days, etc., before seeing results. Rental activity date is within the 18 mo. expiration limit.

Yes, I understand it may take awhile for things to finally credit on aa.com, and the miles may expire meanwhile, and have to be reinstated by aa. Just looking for reassurance I've done enough...or should I go into full panic mode and do something stupid...?

Thanks!
Currently nothing has changed, transaction date is what counts. Do some AAeshopping purchase, anything. As for your 16+ month rental bonus mile, that may take some time, and there is no guarantee it will post. Besides, even it post, with a transaction date of 16+ months past, you will still be facing miles expiration. Best to do a couple of separate AAeshopping transactions asap.