FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz Deposit Question for Visa - 2018 Edition
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:12 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by manohman
You can justify that for infrequent or one-off renters but you cannot justify that for a frequent renter. I am a Hertz President's Circle member. I am not going to run off with the car, steal parts off it, use it in a commission of an offense or some other ridiculous action. In a calendar year, I will rent 40+ times (each rental spanning multiple days usually).

Yeah I can handle $450 deposit from Hertz. Doesn't change the fact it's ridiculous. National and Enterprise doesn't charge me any deposit at the airport.

Yeah I don't call to extend my rentals, why should I? I've never had a branch call me asking me when I am going to return the car, I show up whenever I am ready to return the car and they bill me accordingly. That is the convenience offered.
I agree that the chances of a PC, 5*, or even regular Gold member running off with a car are pretty slim. But if you're a PC, then chances are your credit is good enough and your credit limits are high enough that you wouldn't even notice if Hertz put a $200--or maybe even a $2,000---hold on your card. In fact, I'm a multi-year PC member and didn't even notice until this thread brought it up that my rentals with my Visa aren't getting hit with a $200 deposit. Why should I? I have thousands of dollars of available credit on my card. The authorization falls off after a week or so. I don't even notice it.

Regarding not feeling it necessary to inform them that you won't be returning the car as expected, you may end up paying for that privilege now that Hertz is starting to roll out late-return fees at more and more locations.

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
I have been both A Hertz Customer and USAA member for over 20 years. Use the provided CDP code discount regularly.

Whatever reports of problems or negativity you have heard of are unfounded. Oftentimes the USAA rate offers exceptional values and of course some of the backend policies are beneficial too.

The very vast majority of my rentals over the years has been with the USAA discount, as it indeed generally offers a great rate with good benefits. I have never once had or heard of any problems or issues using it. Of note, though, I just discovered today that independent franchisees are not obligated to extend the USAA discount's benefits to customers. :/