FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:54 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Back to figuring our our return from our honeymoon to SE Asia in June and I'm hoping someone can confirm how much certain routes will cost. Currently looking at the following options:

1) KUL-HKG-US on CX
KUL-HKG = 30/40K aa miles (biz/first)
HKG-US = 70K/100K (biz/first)

2) KUL-DOH-US on QR
KUL-DOH = 40/50K aa miles (biz/first)
DOH-US = 70/115 aa miles (biz/first

3) KUL-NRT-US on JAL
KUL-NRT = 30/40K aa miles (biz/first)
NRT/HND-US = 60/80K miles (biz/first)

Is that accurate? Also, can any of the above be booked on one reservation (even if the costs for both legs are their own)?

Also, in terms of availability, will I possible find better or different availability if I split up the legs? I.e. look at KUL-HKG as one award/segment and then separately look for HKG-US.

We're flying CX first (one first/one biz currently) US-HKG and still need to book HKG-KUL. The criteria for selecting the return are availability, flight times (try to maximize trip) and cost (might not be an issue if we have enough miles).

Thanks in advance!
(1) and (3) can usually be booked as 1 award with a total cost of 70K miles in business class or 110K miles in first. (2) will require two different awards: KUL-DOH will be one award costing 40K or 50K for business or first, respectively; and DOH-US will be another award costing 70K or 115K miles. In all instances, even if multiple awards are required, you can book everything in 1 PNR.

Generally, in my experience, it will not make a difference in terms of availability if you split up the legs. In my experience, I have not run into issues with married segments with the airlines that will be relevant for you. Note also that you can use multiple airlines on 1 award. For example, you could do KUL-NRT on MH, and then NRT-US on JL or AA, and pay 70K miles in business class. I think the best way to search for availability (unless you are looking for availability on AA) is to use BA's search engine and search by segment.

You can book HKG-KUL separately and pay the appropriate additional mileage (I might look into using Avios if you can instead of AA miles in this case). Or you could add the HKG-KUL segment to your existing US-HKG award and pay the $150 change fee.