FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confusing Hotel Cancellation Policy Statement
Old Jan 6, 18, 10:01 am
dulciusexasperis
Suspended

Why stress over nothing? There is never a need to worry about cancellation fees IF you book directly with the hotel. If a hotel has a 72 hour or 24 hour or whatever cancellation policy, all you do is call up and change your booking to a different date a week or more ahead. ie. if your booking is for this Friday, change it to next Friday. Then on Monday, call and cancel the booking. Voila, you cancelled prior to 72 hours in advance. You can call up and change a booking at less than 24 hours notice and no one will blink an eye.

'Hi, I have a booking for tonight but a change in plans means I will have to postpone till next week. I would like to change my reservation from tonight to a week from tonight. Thank you.'
Have a look about half way down this page: Confessions of a hotel insider

Of course if you foolishly book through a third party which will not allow you to change the booking and avoid the cancellation fee, well then you have only yourself to blame.

Whether a cancellation policy is worded ambiguously or not isn't the issue. The question really is, 'will it cost me to cancel'. The answer to that is no, not if you're smart about how you book in the first place and how you handle a last minute cancellation if you need to make one.