FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why alcohol get so much attention by travel bloggers?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:42 pm
Beltway2A

Programs: Free Agent
For a long haul flight, in a premium cabin, the type of alcohol served is one of the distinguishing factors. I'm familiar enough with the major seat vendors that having been in one variant of the Zodiac Cirrus or Apex Skysuite, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting. Most major teas/coffees/sodas/juices will be the same, but it's helpful to know if an airline carries a product that's excellent or horrid, and I find reviews do tend to note this.

It's also an opportunity to experience wines or liquors that I may not otherwise be able to try. JAL used to offer Salon as their champagne in F, a bottle whose price tag I could never justify on the ground. ANA similarly serves the Hibiki 21, where noting the price tag may just alert people who would not be able to otherwise experience the drink.

Back in my college days my mother gave me a bottle of Dom Perignon. A fraternity brother bought a bottle of Mums Extra Dry for about 25 bucks and we drank both bottles with our dates at a Christmas party. Everyone liked the Mums champagne more. I guess we were and are not fancy enough for the good stuff.
A lot of this is personal taste. I've realized I just don't like Krug, but enjoy plenty of other more expensive and far cheaper champagnes.