FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - in TLV- missing luggage/El Al cust service
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:27 pm
csj50

in TLV- missing luggage/El Al cust service

Not sure if I am posting in the most appropriate forum but wanted to get some advice. Husband and I flew from IAD to TLV on Jan 2, but only after it was rebooked twice. Original flight path was with IAD --> FRA (United), then FRA --> TLV (Lufthansa). The first leg of our trip was cancelled, and our flights automatically were rebooked, but with two different itineraries as my husband and I had bought our plane tickets separately. I was automatically booked for IAD --> EWR (united) then EWR --> TLV (El Al), while husband was rebooked for IAD --> LHR (United) --> TLV (El Al). Because we wanted to fly together, I got rebooked to take the same flight as my husband (and I think this is where the luggage mishap happened). While we are on the flight from LHR to TLV, the flight attendant informs us during the flight that our luggage is not on the plane, that they are both in London and to report to Lost & Found when we land. We do so, and while I am filling out the PIR form, my husband decides to take a look at the belt, and there is his suitcase!

However, mine hasn't made it. It has been so frustrating to deal with this situation. I have called several times since landing late evening on Jan 3rd. The first update I got was on the morning of Jan 4th (after I called), saying that it was on a flight to TLV with Lufthansa, and to call in the afternoon to confirm it has made it. I call, and the only thing they can tell me is that they do not know- do not know if it ever left, where it is, why it didn't make it, etc. The next day I call, and they do not know, and ask me to call United and Lufthansa. United tells me that they see it was scheduled to be in Frankfurt, but cannot tell me anymore because the flight was with Lufthansa. I call Lufthansa, and all they can tell me is that the bag is being traced.

I am starting to get very frustrated- having to spend my own money for necessities (including a dress for a wedding, and TLV is not cheap!), El Al is telling me that they will only reimburse me $100 after I file a baggage claim. WHAT?!

Would it be ridiculous to actually go to the airport and ask for someone to physically look for my luggage?? After all, they were "positive" that my husband's luggage was stuck in London with mine, whereas it was on the belt- AND is still listed under the bag tracing system. Not sure what else to do. What if my luggage never gets here by the time I fly back home (Jan 10?) Then what happens??

This has never happened to me before (and I am a frequent traveler), so I guess I'm lucky in that sense...but it has made it really hard for me to enjoy Israel when too much of my time is spent having to replace things I need (esp as a first timer to this country), file claims, call El Al's baggage line, etc. To further my anxiety, El Al's website states they need my original boarding pass- after we boarded, we were left with a very small square piece of paper of what was left of our boarding pass and cannot find it to save my life. - El Al rep on the phone stated today I wouldn't need it to file the claim, that "it'll be ok" though I do have everything else (itinerary, PIR, luggage tag, etc). I have a feeling they will not reimburse me for ANYTHING because I don't have it.

Not sure what to do, but am certainly not feeling very confident with all the misinformation they have been giving me.

Last edited by csj50; Jan 5, 2018 at 4:31 pm Reason: forgot something