FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:37 pm
nycflyer17
formerly smoaky

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c in progress

Was looking to book a couple of tickets to London from New York in mid February. I've read that the 777-200s were to have premium economy installed. I also read on PG that they were in some cases being sold as Main Cabin Extra. When I went to book with points, I checked a cash search first (as you can't buy PE yet with points, from what I understand) to check availability. It seems you can only buy codeshared Premium Economy BA flights through AA, and it does not list it as an option for AA flights from JFK to LHR, or return. I am avoiding booking BA flights as they have the giant fuel charges that cost a few dollars less than an actual round trip ticket.

I had planned to book two economy tickets, then try to upgrade with points for one of the legs to Premium Economy. But given there are either no PE seats or they are listed as main cabin extra, I wasn't sure if that was possible. I also wasn't sure if it might be smart to get Main Cabin Extra off the bat for $137-$176 extra if it turns out to be actually Premium Economy, but AA hasn't gotten around to making it a fare class. Anyone have any insight on this? Seems like things are in-between in terms of NYC-LHR Premium Economy flights on AA.

All AA wide body aircraft to be retrofitted with Premium Economy have been refitted, other than the 787-8 (in prigress), the 767 and A330-300, not scheduled for PE. To read the 787-8 refit thread, please see here.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:57 pm Reason: Add moderator note