FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC: SAMUI BAAN TALING NGAM RESORT -Thailand
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:39 pm
Susiew237

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
edit: sorry this long winded post was about Danang.... moderators can delete it if need be.

We stayed here over Christmas for 5 nights. Booked a club room and we were upgraded to a club terrace as ambassadors.

The hotel is very nice in itself but if the weather is bad then it makes it hard to remain positive. It rained every day we were there so that really was a shame.

The room - compared to the standard club room (which another member of our party had) the terrace was slightly bigger and if having a toilet door as opposed to a curtain is important then you want the terrace (seriously is this a Bill Bensley thing with no bloody doors, have had this at another one of his designed hotels). Also the rooms are quite dark in their styling but the terrace was a bit brighter. The bathroom will drive any woman crazy, absolutely crap lighting. It has a rain shower sort of wet room and a sliding shower that is at an awkward angle. The bathtub is huge. Double sinks which is good but didn't seem to be a lot of space to actually put your things. ONe of these days I am going to write to IC and ask them to let me design their bathrooms keeping females in mind. You cannot really keep you doors open as the monkeys come to visit often. Housekeeping was pretty good, turn down service at night always meant fresh towels - all these hotels that talk about being green and not washing your towels etc, need to actually provide towel racks for them to dry off if that is the case.

To the good. The spa is fabulous and I would rate it highly and definitely suggest you go even though the prices are hefty. I did a 3 hour treatment which just left me in a state of bliss afterwards. Cannot recommend highly enough.

There is quite a bit to do at the resort if you want to. Of course, they have a number of restaurants and bars. We tried barefoot and citron but not 1888. I would say the food was average and expensive. There is a movie theatre that runs movies 3 times a day (free), good if you have kids wanting something to do on a rainy day (free popcorn too). we went one night and were the only ones there. There are classes you can take, yoga, tai chi, lantern making, cooking etc. There is a karaoke lounge if that is your thing! Tennis courts, table tennis, pool table. Some activities are free others you have to pay. So having lots of things to do when it is raining is a good thing in a resort. Also you can do a day trip. Very easy to get a taxi and from memory I think we paid $550K VND to get to Hoi An. (split between 4 of us makes it very good value of course)

To the bad. The club lounge service was absolutely terrible at times, and never really got above average the rest of the time. I started to time them. Getting a cup of tea in the morning took on average a good 15 minutes. A good day was 8 minutes, a bad day it was forgotten. It took me a few days to get them to actually ensure my tea was "hot" as opposed to luke warm. Like a lot of IC club lounges now I notice, the wine selection for evening drinks is rather poor. One evening they told me they had run out of sparkling wine. Really! They soon found some when I stamped my little foot (which by the way is not something I would make a habit of) I suppose I have quite high expectations of the club. You pay a lot more for it that is for sure. I will say all the staff are charming but a lot was often lost in translation and I personally don't think the staff were empowered - the sparkling wine incident is a good example of this. If I was to stay here again (which I wont) I would not pay for club

Also bad, were the exorbitant laundry charges.

Getting around the resort in the rain meant you sometimes wanted a buggy. Waiting periods were long. Not unusual to see dinged carts, their driving skills left a bit to be desired. We often walked with an umbrella which is good for getting the step count up and would then take the funicular to the top.

Something else to be mindful of when booking, is that now the best flexi rate cannot be cancelled up to one week out. .... So I assume if you decided to check out early they would still try to charge you.

Last edited by Susiew237; Jan 16, 2018 at 2:32 pm Reason: put it in the wrong thread.