FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:14 pm
fanger

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
In my experience, this stuff only happens when the non-elite passenger tries to OLCI before I do. The past half-dozen times I've upgraded a non-elite (always on a separate PNR that I called to have linked -- and all of which have worked/cleared at T-100), I made sure to OLCI myself first and then to OLCI my companion. No trouble at all, and the stickers have later come out of my account as expected. In the past the other passenger had tried to OLCI before me and gotten the "please buy stickers" message you describe.
Recent experience: transcon upgraded ahead of time with myself and my wife (PLAT) on one PNR. I checked her in online first, excluding myself. I checked myself in an hour or so later. Upgrades were eventually deducted from her account.

On the return, no advance upgrade; I asked at the check-in counter (after prior checkin via app) to make sure we had the same priority (we were showing up on the upgrade list well separated). It took him quite a long time to manage it (at least 10 min) but eventually worked out. Had to ask at gate for transcon segment for them to process the upgrade list. In this case, upgrades were deducted from my account.

I wonder if the separate check in, lower status companion, always will work when pre-upgraded? I've only about 14 e500 left, but she has like 90.