FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All things Mandarin Oriental...
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:24 am
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
I laughed when I read your post Aventine. One of the things that struck me when I was there on both occasions were the other guests which I can break down in four categories:
  • Asian hypebeasts of all ages (I had never seen a middle aged hypebeast before) - I slightly felt relieved for having taken my rarely used Goyard Boeing hold all on this trip as it meant I would somehow have a connection to the rest of the guests but this place had more Balenciaga sock trainers than the stock room at Selfridge's;
  • the HK Tatler crowd;
  • aging Brits from the home counties whose interests include anything "empire" (I wonder what their reaction would be if they discovered that HK has more French expats than Brits). Posh but no Eton or Harrow accents were heard;
  • a small minority of normal tourists.
. And yet I have always had fantastic service even though I do not fit into any of the above categories. My HK friend who is a regular introduced me to the hotel, so that could have something to do with it I suppose.

I had to look up the word hypebeast, I’m always learning new vernacular on FT.

It’s good that you were charged the correct rate for the harbour view room. There should have been more of a compensatory gesture, but this is MO after all.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 4, 2018 at 7:17 pm