FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Honeymoon to Remember: Hong Kong, Thailand, and Japan in Style
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:10 am
Anlun

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
What a disappointing experience at the Peninsula... sounds like it's just not that much different than a large city hotel offering impersonal service.. I'm sorry to hear that it tainted your honeymoon, but at least you got a good laugh out of things... if anything, it'll be something you'll probably refer to for the rest of your lives.... Just curious, did you book with a travel agent or direct with the hotel?

CAn't wait to hear about Tokyo!

FDW
Yeah, it was a real buzzkill, and I don't think we will ever stay in a Peninsula again. Worst part is, after I posted on TA my experience, they reached out to me, but rather than offer some way to make it up, they just said something to the effect of "sorry, but their was a lot of people that day." With respect to your city hotel comparison, I disagree. This is WORSE than a city hotel. Large city hotels generally may not provide you the intimate service and personal touches other places offer, but hotels at the at the caliber of the Peninsula do try and offer some form of tailored service. For example or RC HK stay was incredible and warm despite the volume. And, as you will see with my RC Tokyo and RC Aman stays, despite being city hotels, made every effort to make us feel special.
The Peninsula really has nothing going for it. Rooms are mediocre, service is incredibly poor, and location, which should be the best part is not that great either. It's located on the wrong side of the river, meaning you need to take the ferry boat to the other side every time you want to go to the city central. For what you pay, you're better off staying at some generic hotel.

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I'm glad you reviewed the Amanpuri as I'm thinking of staying there. i don't think you mentioned the butler and chef that's supposed to come with the villa?
Right, did you mean villas or pavilions? If you meant villas... I have no idea because we stayed in Pavilion 103. If you mean pavilion, then the reason I didn't mention a butler or chef is because Amanpuri doesn't have that. Iniala does I believe. Amanpuri is a more traditional resort with public dining (unless you want to eat at your sala, in which case they will bring it to you).