FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 strategy - GM w/ Delta AmEx Platinium vs no status w/AmEx Platinum?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:09 pm
wxman22

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Gewurztraminer
Hi all. So here's my situation: I used to fly a fair amount for work, but the last couple of years I'm in a different role, so most of my flying is for leisure. Since the role change I have been maintaining GM status with the delta amex $25k waiver and the 10k MQM bonus. I fly about 40-60k miles per year in economy (so because of the variance some years I have a large rollover and other years I really need the 10k mqm bonus to maintain GM). Last year I finally burned up most of my Skymiles (2 pax RT BOS-SYD in J - nice!), so I'm looking at a clean slate for 2019.

Also I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve when it was first introduced, so its been motivating me to look around at other airlines.

As I see it, here are my options:
2. Drop the Delta Platinum AmEx; pick up the Platinum AmEx. This will still get me Skyclub access when flying Delta (and even on domestic flights, which is nice), but I don't think I'll be able to hit the MQD minimums, so I'll lose SkyPriority. I think this is mostly just loss of slightly earlier boarding (I have TSA Pre for security lines). But on the other hand I'll then have AmEx reward points and Chase UR points (from the CSR) which seems better from a flexibility point of view.

I guess the main thing that's holding me back is that I really do prefer Delta service - the handful of times I've flown other domestic airlines (UA, VX, B6 in recent times) it just felt like a much more chaotic experience. So if my biases will drive me to keep buying Delta tickets maybe it makes sense to keep going for Delta status still.

Any thoughts?
Your thoughts on 2 has been my life for the last 15 years, except only FO. (But that got me exit row seating at booking which is still better than C+).
I had GE and PreCk
The Plat Amex gives you Delta Clubs, plus PP which I used extensively overseas.
Amex also give you the $200 reimb for bags, drinks, etc. So why ever choose C+?
The big loss is SP on Intl flights, especially on the partners who treat you like trash as a FO, but if you have no options, Silver and Amex Pl is a good solution.