FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dreamliner 787-8 / 788 Zodiac Business Seats & Reviews (master thd)
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:15 am
CloudCoder

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Mchudacoff
Flew PVG-ORD on 1-1-18. Had seat 1H and was notified prior to boarding that the seat had lost power and would be unable to move mechanically. They assured me that a FA would be able to manually put it into sleep configuration. Turns out that was not possible either and I was forced to sit in Take-Off/Landing position for the entire 14 hour journey. AA provided me with a $500 voucher prior to boarding but this seems quite inadequate. Has this ever happened to anyone?
I had a similar situation MAD-MEX on Iberia on an AA Award ticket. Except I was not warned in advance. To add insult to injury, I was served no food or beverage the entire flight because the FAs claimed that passengers must have a light on (for liability reasons), in order to consume food on their aircraft. Obviously, I complained to AA. At first they wanted to refund just the difference between Business and Main Cabin, i.e. charge me the Coach price for a non-working biz seat. I wrote back that, if offered a Business Class seat at coach price, except you're sitting sitting bolt upright in the dark for the entire journey with no food or drink, I would not purchase that seat at any price. Then they wanted to pro-rate the refund, because the MEX-DFW-SAT portion (in domestic FC) was fine. I replied that if offered a ticket MAD-MEX-DFW-SAT, except the overseas portion was totally miserable in the dark, with no IFE, no food or beverage, no warning in advance, no recline, etc ... I would not buy that ticket at any price.

AA refunded _every_ last mile redeemed for the (one-way) ticket.