FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does it still make sense to get SPG cards for flight rewards? (merger question)
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:12 am
yeunganson

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Kacee
I just got the SPG Amex, and my plan is to accrue as many SPG points as possible before the programs merge. Who knows what Marriott will ultimately come up with when they combine the programs. But right now SPG points are the best convertible currency out there, and it's a reasonably safe bet that we will have plenty of advance warning before Marriott makes any major changes that affect the ability to convert them to airline points. Also, the (US) SPG Amex is arguably the best card out there for everyday spend, with 1 SPG point per dollar spent. I really see no reason not to accrue SPG points in the near term.
The original poster was asking about Canadian based cards specifically. In the Land of the Free, everything is better including their lowered Annual Fee, new slick purples designed SPG AMEX and that legendary 100,000 bonus of the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Even the AMEX Plat in USA is better and metallic with more bonus points than the plastic thing we have here.

None of that applies to Canada sadly.