FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Plat/Gold/Bus cards. August 2016: 1 personal & 1 business bonus/24 months.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:12 am
cheaptom

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
My wife and I both got the 'fraud' calls. What a complete crock.
Identical story for me yesterday. Got a voicemail from Citi fraud and immediately called back. Went through the phone number and text verification, gave my password, etc. Then they finally asked me about a $3,500 charge I made on November 25. I verified that it was a legitimate purchase. They said okay thanks. bye.

But I said Hold on a minute. I appreciate if you want to verify a potential fraudulent activity, but why did you wait over a month to ask?
She looked into my record for a minute and said, "Oh, it's because you made a large purchase from BestBuy.com. And large online purchase often flag our system."
I said (again), yes I understand that it looks like fraud, but why wait over a month to follow through?
Crickets. Then she said it sometimes takes longer, and that's all she could come up with.

One possible thing that we may be doing to trigger this. I think some of you, and myself for sure, made a large purchase to hit the bonus, and then stopped using the card? So I don't think the large purchase raises an immediate flag, but rather a large purchase, followed by a month of inactivity. I'm just reaching here, since our guess is just as good as the CSR.