FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to learn about wine?
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:58 pm
kipper
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
+1 on what @bhrubin said.

I'd also add that it's helpful to get one of those sheets with lists of flavors and flavor categories. Pay attention to the flavors you taste when sipping a glass and look at the sheet to put words to flavors you may have trouble describing. Do it often and you'll see you get better at it.

http://www.piwine.com/media/home-win...asting-Aid.pdf
Thanks! I'll pass that along.
Originally Posted by CAWineNerd
One great way to learn a lot about wine and the entire industry is to read the book "Cork Dork". Its very entertaining and you'll learn about wine along the way. It follows a writer as she attempts to become an "entry level sommelier"

Another method that can work well is to find a wine shop near you that does regular tastings with higher-end wines (>$30). In that manner you will taste good wines and learn from the staff as well as the fellow tasters. There is nothing a wino loves better than to talk about wine and help others learn.

One fascinating thing that irks me no end - there are a lot of corked wines being poured at tasting rooms and wineries. Never assume they know what they are doing, or trust their sense of smell.
I did suggest he frequent the local liquor store that offers wine tastings each weekend.
Originally Posted by Moderator2
If it is someone you are willing to socialize with, host your own home tasting. What I've done in the past was buy six bottles of wine (three white, and three red). Run the gamut of semi-sweet to intense dry. Part of the fun was to pick wines that are in the $7-13 each range, to show the guest that serious money doesn't have to be spent to enjoy a decent wine.
I'd ponder that, but he moves to a different office in a few weeks.