FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska mileage plan 2018 strategy
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:23 pm
jinglish

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ESquared2
I am in the same boat. Hit 75k MVP this year. Based out of ORD and fly west about 60-70% of the time. With the AA partnership ending, I am in the same situation. Honestly not to sure what I am going to do.

I was thinking about doing a AA Challenge, but I really like Alaska. Just not sure if it is worth it to continue down only Alaska, and I would have to bank miles in another program when I go east with 0 chance of any status over the course of the year.

1st world problems for sure, but traveling 75-100k per year makes a difference. Oh what to do...
If JFK, BOS, and FLL cover most of your eastbound flying needs, I'd give B6 a shot in addition to AS status--MVP benefits aside, I honestly prefer flying them in coach to AS. Otherwise, if you can pick one of the Big Three, the affinity credit cards take away some of the sting of flying without status. Obviously it's a much bigger difference coming from your status level, but as an MVP who just got an AA Barclaycard, I get to keep my free checked bag and board in the exact same group, and I only really lose out on priority check-in and IRROPS handling.