FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:29 pm
hightide

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rbw5t
I'm in DC, and CX has recently announced a new IAD-HKG flight. I have never played in the AS sandbox before, but am strongly considering getting started with BofA AS cards to start building miles for a trip to Asia. Is the general consensus that CX and JA will continue to be available using AS miles? The numbers seem pretty incredible! I travel with my family of 4, so there and back in F is a stretch, but in J or even premium economy is nice enough for us. Roundtrip DC to Hong Kong in PE for 70k each (while still a hefty 280k total) is pretty awesome. Can 4 together in J or PE generally be found 11 months out? I figure if I can do a personal and business card every 3ish months, I should have the miles for a nice roundtrip in only a little over 15 months. If I start now, I should be there by May of 2019, and should be able to book a spring break trip, or summer vacation, for 2020. Sound reasonable?
I'm relatively new to AS - got appproved for 3 cards within the past 13 months (1 personal, 2 biz), so might be possible for you to be approved for 4 cards in 15 months by doing personal and biz apps. If I were you, I would also apply for the 2 SPG then transfer to AS. Moreover, I would apply for Citi AA personal, Citi AA biz and Barclay AA (total 180K bonus miles from these 3 cards). With the above, still not enough but if you and your spouse both apply, it's much more achievable.