FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:59 pm
eethan

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by reverted
Datapoint about changing CX flights after the first segment has been flown.

Itinerary was SIN > HKG (stop) > LAX. SIN > HKG in J and HKG > LAX in F. A day before flight to LAX, space opened up on an earlier flight. (Space checked on QF. F5 on EF) Called the line and agent in Seattle picked up. Just asked to be changed onto the earlier flight. Put on hold and about 10 min later, came back and said everything was good to go. This was for 2 separate reservations flying the same itinerary.

CX reservation immediately changed and check-in went smoothly.

Gold 75K here if that may have had something to do with it.

Award space from original flight also went back into award inventory. (Checked on QF)
I had called 2 - 3 times but was unable to change my last leg, HKG-LAX, from J to F. One of the experienced agents even went to her manager for help but couldn't do anything. I think the reason was - they couldn't simply refund my whole trip (JNB-HKG-LAX) and then book a new award for the remaining itinerary - the award costs were different.

Thanks for the field report! If you have any guidelines we can advise future agents, let us know.