FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairbanks in January
View Single Post
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:11 pm
wxman22

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by RustyC
When I saw the thread title I wondered if someone had taken up the Delta offer. How nice of them to discount that destination so much for January and February. Maybe they'll also lop 10K off the award cost for Abu Dhabi in July and August.

While I've been to Alaska a number of times I've stayed away from the deep winter. Though one of the videos they show at the handy-dandy visitor center in Fairbanks was a 20-minute or so thing done in the late 80s about Fairbanks in winter and what that's like (which I was fortunate to get to see). It was upbeat but clearly meant for summer visitors and not really trying to get 'em to come during winter. The ice fog thing was mentioned, as were the days with the really, really low temperatures. Ya might get 4 hours or so of daylight, though the sun never rises very high. There's also the bit about needing to plug in your car.

Would think that Anchorage and points south like Homer would be more desirable inasmuch as you'll probably get temperatures above zero F and still get to see the aurora.
Umm, I think I'm in that video, though there were a number made.

I love Fairbanks in the winter, as there are no tourists. I now the OP already made his plans and he only had few days, but in the last 12 years, my wife and I went to Fairbanks twice in mid-February.
both times we drove from Anc to Fairbanks, north via the Parks hwy and return to Anc via the Rich and Glennallen hwys.
Wonderful drives in the winter, very few cars and beautiful scenery.
January is a bit darker and colder, but I did notice a few years ago, Fairbanks had a February in which the temperature never went above 0F (-18C) that's old school.