FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Honeymoon to Remember: Hong Kong, Thailand, and Japan in Style
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:38 pm
zip10001

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Anlun
Actually, the point I was trying to convey was that Gaggan is a very worthwhile restaurant, regardless of it's notoriety. My first point regarding the experience was that it detracts from the food, but that is not to say the food alone wasn't excellent. It certainly was. We've been to some restaurants, Aquavit NYC for example, where some dishes were just served in a pretentious manner, though no where near the level of that Fat Duck anecdote (seriously an iphone?). Gaggan's dishes can definitely stand their own, and I wish maybe the chef had more confidence in them. My guess was that because they are small bites, he might think the guests will walk away unsatisfied unless they get a show out of it. But, for us, that was not the case. As I noted, we were very impressed with how much flavor he was able to pack into such small dishes, and how bold and distinct they were. I think maybe I got tired of listing off the 25 courses, and I may have gotten a little lazy in the middle review, but Gaggan is worth it. Just ignore the Lick It Up bit, and look past the potted plant.

We debated going to Nahm but we ran into a Bangkok couple on our trip who totally bashed it, and recommended we go to Nara instead for good Thai food. We weren't disappointed.

Thanks again for the positive feedback, I hope to get my Amanpuri/Phuket review done tomorrow. Spoiler alert, barring a few mishaps and a slight nitpick, that place is damn amazing.
Thanks for the review & Congratulations on your wedding!
I really loved my dinner at Gaggan last year, probably my favorite dining experience ever. But was also disappointed by the food/service at Nahm.