FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:41 am
username
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blankspace
This is probably a silly question, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. I have an upcoming paid economy plus flight from Taipei to San Francisco. I have met the Platinum status for the first time ever in my life last month (on my way to 1K by the end of this year too which is exciting!). Do I have a chance at getting a "free" upgrade to Business class as a Platinum status (ie, will I automatically be put on the waitlist for an upgrade to Business class after checking in?)? Or do Platinum status members not qualify for such "free" upgrades?
I saw there is an international upgrade seat available for the TPE-SFO flight back to the US, but I was wondering if with higher status you can ever get a "free" upgrade without having to spend the miles and cash. Sounds like maybe this never happens?
Thank you all for the info! Learning things I never knew!
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx has a nice table with what you get on what routes.