FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers (2017-2019).
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:34 pm
jeepie

Originally Posted by AZinAZ
I have the personal platinum card, have had it since 2013. I put about $60k on it this year. Called, talked to the first rep, she put me on hold and blind transferred me to someone else. Started all over with that guy, he offered me a downgrade to a cheaper card, I declined. He said he needed to send me to an 'account manager'. That person droned on about how great the new uber benefit is, got mad when I politely disagreed, then falsely stated that now I can bring unlimited guests into the centurion lounges AND priority pass lounges with my card - I let him know that actually, the opposite is true - they just LIMITED guest access, not expanded it - and he said my options were to close the card or pay the fee. WOW, guess they really value my $60k a year, huh?? This makes me want to actually cancel the card as I can't use the global entry credit (already have it), won't use the Uber credit (hate uber and it's obnoxiously expensive every time I have tried to use it so I spend WAY more than the measly $10 credit), and am having a hard time finding $550 worth of value in this card. I used to love the sync offers but had a couple in a row where amex refused to honor it even though I followed the T&C to the letter, so I don't count on those any more. Frustrating, because I used to really love this card.
Did you cancel? If not, please share the reasons. TIA.