FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shanghai disneyland
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:05 am
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I nearly forgot to update here...

We arrived at PVG around 9am on Thurs 7 Dec. Customs and Immigration weren't too bad, we made it through by about 9:30-9:45. I picked up a SIM card for my iPhone at a convenience shop and used an ATM to get some local cash. We chatted with an information desk gal, who told us that the best way to Disneyland was by cab, and she told us about what it should cost (it was slightly higher), I think about US$20 or so.

It is quite a haul from the cab drop off to the main gate. Everyone and everything has to go through security. Someone walked us over to their checked bags area, we left our bags, then entered the park at about 11am. It really wasn't too busy. Weather was decent, mostly sunny, but temp in the mid-40sF I'd guess.
As for rides and such, there aren't too many. Those there are seemed quite different from the other Disney parks; Pirates of the Caribbean was much more intense, and nearly everyone on the boat got at least a little wet. The Tron ride was amazing--probably one of the best Disney rides I've been on.
Lines for the rides weren't too bad, maybe 10-20 min. The food areas were extremely busy, mostly because not many were open.

After Disney, I just hopped on the metro to get to the Hilton. It took about an hour, I had to change once. The nice thing about getting on at Disney is that it is the first stop, so you'll get a seat. It did get quite crowded and I had to push to get out, but I've done it before in many corners of the world. From the metro station, it was about a 5-10 min walk to the Hilton, mostly because I didn't really know where I was going.

I've been to Disneyland (the original), Disneyworld (Orlando), Tokyo Disney (way back in 1996), Disneyland Paris, and now Shanghai. This one didn't seem to have as much in the park proper yet, but the cost was much lower than any of the others. The downtown Disney area (or whatever they call it) seemed about on par with Paris. My visit to Tokyo was so long ago I don't really remember much.
But I'd say if you're in Shanghai and have a day to spare, go ahead and check it out. Or if you arrive at PVG in the morning, then definitely since it isn't too far.

Last edited by aztimm; Dec 21, 2017 at 8:14 am