FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:04 pm
dkc715

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by pdx1M
WineCountryUA is absolutely correct. After the UA merger implosion and my own retirement I totally stopped flying UA for nearly 3 years and even now fly them very little. Nevertheless, every year since (which is about 4 now) I get 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs in January. I expect the same next month. They got that part of the LT1K program right. Where I think they got it wrong is that to get 2 more GPUs I'd have to fly 150K miles (or 25K for 2 more RPUs). That provides no incentive for LT1Ks to fly any more than is in their narrow interest. What they should have done with LT1K is to essentially start such folks as though they had already flown 100K miles (or perhaps a bit less if they felt stingy). That would have left intact an incentive for continued flying in cases where UA or another carrier both made sense.
Never understood the 2 RPUs. Why wouldn't LT1Ks get 4 RPUs? By the airline's own definition, a Premier Platinum gets 2 RPUs, and a 1K gets 2 more. So, has anyone ever explained why LT1Ks don't get 6 GPUs and 4 RPUs deposited in January (assuming they don't otherwise qualify)? I assume the answer is "it is our program, so our math".