FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fall Trip To Eastern Canada
View Single Post
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:30 pm
seat38a

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Via Rail Business Class Toronto to Quebec City via Montreal Part 2

After getting off Via Rail Train 60 from Toronto, we headed up to the escalators to the main station building of Montreal's Gare Central. I went up to the posted platform for Via Rail Train 624 but the Via Rail employee guarding the entrance looked at my bag and told me it needed to be checked. I didn't want to get into it with the employee so I followed her instructions and checked my luggage to Quebec City. BTW my luggage was carryon approved and even weighed in Toronto to make sure it was legit. After coming back from the checking my bag I went back to the employee and showed her our tickets to board but she told me that Via Rail Train 624 wasn't boarding yet and that since we were in business class, we should go wait inside the Via Rail Business Class Lounge. The Business Class Lounge was right across from our assigned platform and after entering, my parents and I presented our tickets to one of two attendants working the front desk. We were welcomed to the lounge and told she would let us know when boarding time came.

With passengers for the Ottawa train and the Quebec train both in the Via Rail Business Class Lounge, it was crowded but my parents and I were still able to find ourselves a place to sit. A variety of beverages were available including coffee and tea but not much else to eat. Shortly after we arrived in the lounge, boarding for the train to Ottawa was called and the lounge emptied out significantly. If three trains were leaving close together, I can see the lounge becoming way too crowded. Plus there was only 1 bathroom a unisex one inside the lounge which already had a line of people waiting to use it when we arrived.

Eventually boarding was called for Train 60 to Quebec City, and we were out of the lounge and down the escalators to the boarding platform. Unlike Via Rail Train 60 which consisted of all LRC Railcars, Via Rail Train 624 had older refurbished cars for coach and the LRC Railcar only for business class. When I arrived at the business class car, I was greeted by the male business class attendant at the door and welcomed aboard. Unlike on Via Rail Train 60 earlier which had two business class attendant and one trainee attendant, Train 624 only had two regular business class attendants. On this train my parents and I were all sitting on the single seat side of the train. The business class car on this train was completely sold out.

Unlike on Train 60, the business class attendant did ask my parents if they were willing to help with the emergency windows and then explained the procedure for opening it to them. Obviously this attendant didn't think my parents were too old and frail to help. Right on time, our train pulled out of the platform backwards before changing tracks and proceeding forward towards Quebec City. Since Via Rail Train 624 was a lunch time train, service started with cocktails, wine and other beverages from the drink cart along with a snack mix. Cocktails were served in 16oz cups. For comparison 16oz is the size of Starbucks Grande size. Pours were generous and request for double shot were met with "oui misure!" I had a extra strong gin and tonic along with my snack mix to start.

Drink and snack mixes were followed by hot towels pre-packaged in plastic wrapper. Announcements were made in English and French regarding the menu for lunch. There was a choice of three items on todays train. Two hot and one cold. Fish and pasta were the hot dish and the beef dish was the cold dish for lunch today. Meal carts were rolled out, one on each end of the business class car. I ordered the cold beef dish and my dad ordered the fish. While the three of us got our first choice, the lady sitting across from me did not get her first choice which was beef and had to settle for the pasta dish. Each lunch tray came with warmed bread and butter, red or white wine, and or water. Red and white wine followed feely during the meal service, after the meal and all throughout the ride to Quebec City. The 4 other Americans across from my parents and myself were well drunk and feeling good by the time we arrived into Quebec City. Requests for more cocktails were met with "oui misure" or "oui madame" from the business class attendants. It's no exaggeration to say that the whole business class car was well sloshed by the time we arrived into Quebec City. After the meal trays were collected, the tea and coffee cart came through the aisle along with bottles of the red and white wine for refills.

After the meal services was completed, a tray of chocolate were brought through the business class car for passengers to help themselves. The choice was between dark or raspberry flavored chocolate. Train 624 arrived into Quebec City Gare du Palais ahead of schedule. Once we disembarked, I headed to the rear of the train which was where the luggage car was located so I could collect my checked bag before heading out of the platform.

More pictures from Via Rail Business Class on Train 624