FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fall Trip To Eastern Canada
View Single Post
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:04 am
seat38a

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Via Rail Business Class Toronto to Quebec City via Montreal Part 1

After two nights in Toronto, it was now time for us to leave Toronto and head to our next destination, Quebec City. While we could have gone to Quebec City faster by flying, the cost to fly to Quebec City in coach (All cost including transport to airport, luggage etc. ) vs taking the train to Quebec City in Business Class was so close, I decided I wanted to try something different and take the train. About a month out before leaving for Canada, I booked three train tickets on Via Rail in Business Class. The booking was painless but I did have to call into Via Rail to make changes to the seat assignment because the computer generated one had the three of us spread all over the place. There is no non stop train from Toronto to Quebec City. Just via Montreal with a change of train.

We had to be up very early to get ready. Once we had double checked everything in our room, I completed checkout via my Marriott App, and then hailed Uber to come pick us up. It was way too early and too cold this morning that I wanted to be lazy. Our Uber driver dropped us off at Toronto's Union Station and we proceeded into the main hall. I saw that our train Train 60, was already posted on the board and boarding time was close, so I decided to go directly to the platform instead of the Business Class Lounge. At the entrance to the platform for our train, a line had already formed so after scouting to see if there was a separate business class line, we joined the only line available. Via Rail staff were busy moving and setting up equipment for boarding. After what was about 15 minutes waiting in line, an announcement was made for business class passengers to come forward to board. My parents and I got out of the line we were in and headed up to the front where our tickets were scanned, my luggage weighed and tagged before we proceeded up the escalator to the platform where our train was waiting.

Up on the platform, Via Rail employee asked us if we were in Via Rail business class and then directed us to the front of the train which was where our car was located. At the single entrance to the business class car, two business class attendants greeted us and welcomed us aboard. We walked through the galley and then stowed our luggage on the luggage rack before finding our seats. My seat was on the side with the single seat and my parents were sitting together across from me. Later before departing, one of the business class attendants came through the train to explain how to operate the emergency window which my parents side had. The attendant took a second to look at my parents and then turned to me to ask if I would be willing to operate the window in a emergency. After the attendant disappeared into the galley, we cracked up laughing. My mom made commented that they obviously looked too old and frail to help. It was really hard for me to keep a straight face until the attendant disappeared into the galley.

Our train pulled out of the platform on time and shortly afterwards, the business class attendants came through for morning beverage service. We were offered juice, tea, and or coffee. The attendants also asked if we wanted coffee with breakfast and left an empty mug on our tray table if we did. Next came the hot towels which came pre-packed in plastic wrapping. Breakfast service started shortly afterwards with two meal carts each starting from one end of the business class car. There were two options for breakfast on today's train. The hot option was the omelette and the cold option was the cereal and fruit. Both options came with either a croissant or bagel and or both with cream cheese, butter and or jam. If a passenger asked for something, NO did not seem to be in the Via Rail business class attendant's vocabulary.

My parents and I opted for the omelette which was described over the intercom as "western omelette." The only thing that made it "western" was the little bit of salsa on it. Overall the meal was good! The breads were served from a basket WARMED! More drinks were offered, including milk and water while the meal trays were being distributed. After plenty of time was given for passengers to enjoy their breakfast, the attendants brought the cart back down the aisle to collect the meal trays and also offer refills to anyone who wanted one. All of the passengers who originated in Toronto go their first choice but based on what I overheard, some of the passengers who boarded later down the line didn't have a choice.

In the middle of the route, one of the business class attendant came through the train with a tray of mints for anyone who wanted one. Also they were very gracious about filling requests by the passengers. For example, a couple sitting behind my parents asked if they had any more breakfast breads an hour or so after everything was cleared away but the attendant brought some over to them heated and all!

Aboard the train, BYOD programming was available through the WiFi system. Also the internet speed was pretty decent compared to the terrible system that Amtrak offers aboard their trains.

The first leg to Montreal was uneventful and we arrived early into Montreal's Gare Central.

More pictures from Via Rail Business Class on Train 60.