FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fall Trip To Eastern Canada
View Single Post
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:47 am
seat38a

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Dinner At CN Tower

For our last dinner in Toronto during this trip, we had reservations at the 360 Restaurant at CN Tower, while I made reservations almost 4 months out, yesterday night I realized I screwed up, and when I went online to correct my mistake, the only reservation left was at 4:45PM. For some reason, I made reservations for tomorrow night when we would be long gone from Toronto and in Quebec City. I had originally planned on having lunch at the 360 Restaurant, but my mom wanted dinner instead because she heard the view was better at night. Since the CN Tower was literally 5-10 walk from the Residence Inn Entertainment District, we headed out about 20 minutes before since we needed about 15 minutes for check-in and security, according the CN Tower website.

Security to get into CN Tower was airport style but very relaxed. Camera's and phones were not required to be put through the x-ray. Only big bags and purses. Once we were past security, we followed the signs for 360 Restaurant which eventually brought us to the restaurant check-in desk on the ground floor. Our reservation was confirmed and I was given a piece of important looking paper which turned out to be nothing at all. We called further down the corridor where group pictures were taken before we were allowed on the elevator up to the restaurant. The elevator had a glass bottom floor but with all of the scuff marks on it, it just didn't have the scary factor.

Once we arrived up at the restaurant, we checked in again with the hostess. We were told that the manager would show up shortly to seat us and just as he finished saying that, the manager showed up and took us to our window side table. When I made reservations, in the notes I requested a window table and very happy that it was granted. In 2015, when we ate at the restaurant atop of the Space Needle, we sat in one of the inside tables and it just wasn't the same. My parents started to argue about which one of them gets to sit by the window, so I gave up my seat up against the window so the both of them could have the window seats. Being near the window is important for picture taking but being right up against it wasn't.

The restaurant rotates at a very slow rate and takes about an hour to make one full rotation. By the time we paid the check and left, we stayed a little over an hour based on where our table was facing.

The menu was extensive and had both a la carte and prix fix. My mom ordered a la cart and my dad and I ordered from the prix fix menu. To sum up the experience in one sentence: The view is spectacular but the food not so great. The view from the restaurant is spectacular that when we went down to the observation level which btw is located below the restaurant, we did not find it interesting at all. The windows up at the restaurant were spotlessly clean but on the observation level, the windows were dirty and the outdoor open air deck had wire fencing all around which really killed the mood. Also, the glass bottom floor was scratched and smudged so just like in the elevator, lost a lot of the scary factor.

My mom's steak cost just as much as the one we ate at Mastro's Beverly Hill, but taste and texture were seriously subpar for such an expensive price. Even with a steak knife it was hard cutting through the meat. My dad and I ordered the same main course which was described a "crispy pork." There was nothing crispy about the pieces of pork belly that we got.

Since it will cost you to go up to the CN Tower anyways, if it is in your budget, go eat at the restaurant. Not for the spectacular food but for the spectacular view. You will not have to wait in line with the rest of the crowd trying to get up to the observation deck and access to the observation deck is included for restaurant guests (Not Skypod).

More pictures from CN Tower and 360 Restaurant.