FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:30 pm
rrobbo

Travelling with wife and 2 kids this time, so booked 2 rooms stating that they needed to be connecting but that I was happy with any room type. As I've dropped down to Gold status I booked us into Exec rooms rather than chance an upgrade. Went to pick the rooms at on-line check-in as soon as I had the option and no connecting rooms available - called the hotel and they said that they couldn't give connecting rooms but they'd put a note on file to sort it out at check-in. Checked in at 1:30am to be told that there was no note and no connecting rooms. When I said that I'd find somewhere else the next day they said that they'd switch me in the morning. It turns out that one of the rooms we were in was a connecting room but they had somebody else in the room it connected to. I realise that the logistics behind room allocation can be a bit tricky but not allocating connecting rooms to people who request them whilst giving them to people who don't want them does seem a bit poor (I'd understand a bit more if all connecting rooms were actually being used as connected). Anyway, I've got another stay booked in a couple of weeks so went to front desk to get confirmation that we'd be able to get connecting rooms next time and was basically told no - you get what's available at check-in. Luckily my rate allows last minute cancellation so I've booked alternate options and will cancel this if on-line check-in doesn't have connecting rooms.

Anyway, more relevant to most, the Exec Lounge for breakfast must rank as the worst that I've been into. Yesterday morning (Sunday) we went in and it was pretty quiet, got table for 4 straight away and there were plenty of places to sit. Just two cereals (looked like bran flakes and some sort of twigs), few yoghurts, 3 types of pastry, no bottled water. Only one member of staff covering everything (he did his best though) - we had to fill in forms to order eggs and he took care of that. Juice ran out and there were no coffee cups - also ran out of bread for toast at one stage and rarely all 3 pastries were available (they seemed to top up with the minimum amount each time). Will try the main restaurant for breakfast this morning. Went back up to the lounge for a soft drink in the afternoon and there were 3 diet Cokes and some Sprites in the fridge and they didn't get restocked.

Exec Lounge better in the evening with many more staff on (if you can't get Sunday nights right then you've no chance). Went in at 6:30 and plenty of places to sit. Red and white wine was out on the counter but just one bottle of each at a time - there seemed to be 2 cans of Tiger in the ice bucket at a time. The Tigers were there twice when I went and I had to order one once. Three hot dishes were out - chicken wings, fried fish and something that I didn't recognize (they looked OK but I didn't try them as we ate before we went in). Switched next booking to a cheaper room and will chance getting an unlikely room upgrade - not really worth paying much extra for exec based on what I've seen.