FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Impressions of T5 security - it may just be me!
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:01 am
squawk

I mostly encounter T5 security when transferring INT-DOM, and I must say it is variable - but I've certainly noticed some poor interactions from some of the staff. Most often this has taken the form of loudly repeating the security instructions at people, on the assumption that the passenger doesn't speak English well enough to understand. Such a patronising way of interacting also tends to get people's backs up - no-one likes being snapped/shouted at for no reason, especially if you are trying to engage with a genuine question!

The other thing I've noticed is a general surliness in interactions compared to other airports/terminals. I've only flown through MAN once, a long time ago on a charter, so can't comment on that.

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
… but my favourite airport security experience is always Newcastle. Fast, efficient, warm and friendly..
I second this - an excellent airport, though I might be biased. At quiet times, you can get from the Metro to the gate in <10 minutes.

The only downside is the refresh a year or so back, which created a double-S-bend in Duty Free that you have to walk through. I've not found a way of skipping it, and it probably only adds a minute to your walk, but I find the compulsory additional zig-zagging (and inevitable upselling attempts, which is why they've done it) quite infuriating. It also means that there is less space airside to sit or wander, making it a more claustrophobic than before.