FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Colleague Was Bumped from Upgraded F Seat by a Celeb
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:42 am
beachfan

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by kb9522

The CoC has a link to a separate page which it states governs the terms for preferred seat selection. This page includes the following bullets (bolding mine)
We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
  • You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
  • We will attempt to assign children under 15 with at least one adult they're traveling with.

I make no distinction between booked class, instrument used, etc. Do not put words in my mouth. Seat assignment, regardless of how you came to have it, is not guaranteed. Period.
It certainly isn't clear that the situation described is an operational, safety or security reason. Unless the assertion is that "operational" gives them carte blanche, and in that case, most definitely isn't unambiguous. Valid reasons are broken seat, weights and balances, FAM. Or inadvertent issue of duplicate boarding passes. Not intentionally forcing an oversold situation at the gate after boarding. Certainly, the rules cited don't make any distinction about award ticket, upgrade, or paid fare, so I don't see how the CoC could allow this and not allow the booting of passengers to middle seats in the back on paid F when someone with more $$ comes along.