FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel stay in W Los Angeles
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:50 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Not entirely true. The Expo line is just over 1 mile from the HIX WLA. All one needs to do is take the Culver City Bus (green bus) from Sepulveda and Santa Monica Blvds (2 blocks east of the HIX West LA) down to Pico Blvd. (southbound - going back north the bus is right at Exposition where the Expo line is). That's just 1.2 miles if anyone is inclined to walk it. Line 6 - Sepulveda Blvd Culver City, CA The Expo line can take you within walking distance of the pier and Downtown Santa Monica going westbound or into the Downtown Los Angeles area eastbound where you can pick up the subway to Hollywood and Universal Studios.

I live just over 1 mile from the HIX WLA so I know the neighborhood very well. Although most of West Los Angeles is affluent and a fairly crime free area, there are homeless everywhere in Los Angeles and concentrated along the offramps of the 405 at Santa Monica Blvd and along Santa Monica Blvd. east of the 405. During the day that's fine. At night, watch yourself.
But downtown Santa Monica is even more easily reachable from the HIX West LA but walking across the street and catching the Big Blue Bus #1 (which goes into Westwood Village in the other direction). And downtown Los Angeles by staying on your side of the street and catching LA Metro bus 4 Both run along Santa Monica Blvd (aka CA State Route 2), which is what the HIX West LA is on.

I live half a mile south of the HIX WLA so I also know the neighborhood well, though you're right, I don't walk under the 405 at night (no reason to, the furthest thing north I want to walk at night is the Nuart theater, which is about 1 block south of the HIX WLA).