FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What will be JOON's first [last] routes?
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:57 am
JOUY31
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Zembla
Form my understanding, only Y will be cheaper on JOON. In Y you will ha e to pay extra for all sorts of things. J is supposed to be pretty much the same kind of pricing and all inclusive service as on AF (in NEV4 for now...)

So basicall, from my understanding, JOON wants to be LCC in Y and business as usual in J.
So, I had a last roundtrip flight to TXL with Air France during the week of Nov. 25th and another one the following week with Air France by Joon, whatever the name.

As mentioned earlier, on the TXL-CDG leg operated by Air France, I had a free sandwich, chose a whisky, and was promptly offered a second one ;-).

Let's move on to the first CDG-TXL flight with Joon in Y:
  • There was a first trolley with just the free beverage service:
  • On this flight, I was in the 4th or 5th row; the second trolley with the BYOB appeared once the lunch service in C was completed
  • So, I was able to order my food and beverages 10mn before the aircraft started its descent, but I definitely had more luck than
    the passengers at the rear of the aircraft, who could barely order their food before the seat belts sign was activated
  • The flight did originate in CDG, but the salad I had chosen was not available
  • I then chose a sandwich, for € 6 and € 5 for a whisky; the 20cl of basic Lanson was priced at EUR 12, which seemed to me to be
    far less value for money than the rest of the menu
  • The flight attendant asked me to give some constructive feedback, but I never saw him again
  • Overall, not thrilled by the time needed to get a sandwich when seated in row 4 or 5
Now, for the flight back in C:
  • Typical seamless and personalized C service for an intra-European Air France flight
  • Extremely courteous Chef de Cabine, who also kept my glass of Champagne filled throughout the flight
  • Smallish tray of food, with a hot item, in this case, bread
  • The BYOB trolley started its move towards the rear of the cabin before service had been completed
    in C, so hopefully, the passengers did not have to wait for too long to buy some food
  • I had purchased an additional piece of baggage, as I usually have some equipment for this yearly
    conference in Berlin; buying the business class seat as an option at OLCI did not increase the number
    of pieces of baggage displayed for check-in
Overall, based on the experience of this single pair of flights and my own personal biases, I would recommend
that Air France ditch the BYOB trolley and allow me to pre-pay for an à la carte meal, identical to the ones
available for a long-haul flight, charging me something like EUR 30 for the privilege of a hot meal and some wine.