FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2015-19 AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:04 am
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LRocksCan
Not sure if this was asked/answered as I've been trying to search through MIA forums but I have a question about checking through customs to the next flight.

We are flying in to MIA from CUR and have about 2 hours between our connection to Charlotte to go through customs and then catch our flight. I'm wondering if MIA is similar to FLL in that you have to go through customs and then back through TSA security once you're done. I flew through IAH years ago and I just walked through a door and headed on to my connection. FLL we got dumped outside and had to go back through TSA screening. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. We have carry ons this time too, no checked luggage. That was our big problem as it was delayed coming through screening at FLL.

Any info will help alleviate my worry! Thanks!
At every international airport in the USA you will have to re-clear TSA security after exiting customs/immigration, before you can proceed to your connecting flight. This is because you come into contact with your checked luggage. MIA is no different of course, but 2 hrs. should be plenty of time.

Not sure what happened with your experience at IAH, were you connecting TO an int'l flight? Or coming from a destination that does US immigration & customs preclearance (Canada, several Caribbean, DUB, AUH, etc.)?