FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diverted Flight and Car Hire Compo
View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:47 pm
mdj1

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Diverted Flight and Car Hire Compo

Just filled out the online claim form for our diverted flight from KEF to LHR last night.

this is what I put.

Hi.

We were lied to by the crew and told that LHR was closed. When I provided evidence we were told that it was only T5 that was closed. As such we were diverted to NCL, once there we were told the crew were out of hours and to disembark.

Once inside the terminal we were handed the attached piece of paper and told that there were no alternative flights to be booked on. We could book a hotel ourselves and contact BA in the morning to arrange an alternative flight or make our own arrangements and was told that we might be able to get a train. At no point did BA offer to arrange anything.

I took it upon myself to look at the train prices. These were £298 per person for a standard fair ticket from NCL to LHR or £303 for a 1st class ticket.

I thought that was a bit steep so looked at car hire. The only vehicle available was an 8 seater at a cost of £198.44 So I took this option. The fuel cost was £64.28

I then found 4 other single travellers who also wanted to get back to heathrow and they came with us.

Ourselves as a couple and the other 4 single travellers could have chosen to stay in a hotel and claim taxi and meal costs too at cost in excess of £1000 to BA, I could have booked two train tickets at a cost of £600 but I didn't.

I feel that I chose the most cost effective way of getting us back to heathrow and in doing so saved BA a lot of money, it actually only cost you £43.78 per person!

I'm not claiming for food, drink or any other expenses just the hire of the car and fuel.

I also request that you refund the cost of this portion of the flight as it wasn't completed and I had to make my own arrangements.

I look forward to your prompt reply in this matter.

Merry Christmas.

MDJ1