FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:01 pm
ExplorerWannabe

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
The 70 lb limit is (fairly) common......that is pretty heavy...it's nearly half my weight... and the handlers have to move a LOT of bags.... its an OH&S matter...(or whatever that's called where you are)

I know everyone criticises the baggage handlers.... but shifting 70lb bags all day can't be fun....
It's not but it used to be the standard once-upon-a-time (empty luggage was heavier back then too). I don't blame them but it is interesting how standards have changed over the years.

Counter agents may be sticklers or they may be lenient when you're slightly over the weight limit. I've had agents WANT to be lenient but unable to do so because I was so far over the weight limit (I misweighed the bag using a bathroom scale).

I used to use a golf bag to transport unusually long items (not necessarily always golf clubs. Never had a problem but I can see my golf travel bag exceeding the 62 linear inches. Does United now routinely charge people fees for golf clubs?