FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:36 pm
joshua362

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
In my experience, most of the time the front desk clerk will say -- particularly if I've checked in online with the Marriott application -- something like, "And for your welcome amenity, you want the points, right?" I always ask what the alternative is, in the event the property is exceeding the $10 coupon toward food and beverage. Only once has a property (the Marriott Detroit Airport) not offered me a choice. I collected the $100 via a check in the mail about a week later.
Well thats the way its supposed to work. Where (US) are you getting a better deal then the $10 coupon? Would like to stay there.

In the olden days, I loved taking the F&B option and seeing what they would do with it, it varied from a less than quality Costco cheese tube and 10 crackers to a full fresh cut plate of fruit, cheese and full bottle of wine. If it came at all, probably just over 50% of the time (where I presume the $100 comp was initially designed to prevent). But if they were nice to me in any manner, I couldn't collect in good conscious.

Miss those days and that was the real spirit of a PAW, not 1/70th of a room night. Your opinion will vary!

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 10, 2017 at 9:24 am Reason: typo