FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA FLT#288 returns to PHX due to technical issues
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:27 pm
TPloser

Problems around planes that have/dad technical issues can be interesting and I learnt you need to be careful with what you say.

I was on G-VIIO a few days before it had its unfortunate engine issue and subsequent fire on take-off at LAS. This summer I was on it again going to Florida. During the flight my daughter was going through the magazine and asked which plane we were on when she reached the section on BA's fleet. I said a 777 and that we were actually on the plane that had the fire at LAS. She has flown loads of time and is not nervous. But as I said it I looked up and the look of fear in the guys eyes next to us in the window seat was a picture as he gripped the arm rests. Feeling guilty I had to then give a little spech to my daughter on how it was now a new engine and the frame would have been checked and it was probably the safest plane in the sky now. It ws for him and you could see him starting to relax but it shows that sometimes you need to be careful what you say. Of course I then put my foot in it again when reliving the event with a group that had been on the plane (we were a wedding party so a few groups on the plane). One of the group needed lots of reassurance on the return flight as he was so nervous he would be on the same plane.