FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Different pricing/fare buckets depending on billing country / point of sale
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:44 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lancelot21
I am surprised to discover that inventory and price depend on the billing address of my credit card. (If there's already thread on this, I couldn't find it.)

Specifically, I am pricing a business-class itinerary on .bomb, with either a U.S. or French billing address. For CDG-EWR on Jan 2, return on Jan 6, the price in business roundtrip is $3218 with a U.S. credit card...or €3951 with a French billing address. The French one is more than $1400 more expensive. (Note: This is not merely hypothetical. I have one card with my (temporary) French address, and another with my U.S. address. In both cases, the actual cards are American-issued.)

The important difference is the outbound CDG-EWR flight. In dollars, it's $2300 in Z. (C9 D9 Z8 ZN8 P0 PN0.)
In euros, it's €3175 in C (C8 D0 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0), since Z is not available.

Is this normal that inventory buckets differ depending on credit card address? Should I always search using both of my credit cards and then choose the cheaper option?

(Note: By the way, if you do the math, it is clear that in either currency it is extremely cheap to fly EWR-CDG in business on January 6. The premium over coach is something like $200).
As another add, one way to potentially book this is to use an US-based OTA. Orbitz.com, Expedia.com, etc. will likely price based on the US POS price, and usually allows you to use a card with foreign billing addresses.