FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW in only 737 NG aircraft
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:05 pm
MrGroover

Programs: Miles & More, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honors
October 20, 2017

With the early arrival, I had the idea to try to get on to an earlier connecting flight. My original departure from Colombo was at 6:15 am. I had some buffer added with separate tickets and two airlines that most likely don't have an interlining agreement.

My next segment was Colombo - Dubai on flydubai. Other than what was given on their website, I was able to do an online check-in. This was also the boarding pass I had printed in Hong Kong. With the boarding pass in hand, it was rather easy to enter the terminal building. To enter the departure hall, you have to show proof that you have a flight departing from the airport, otherwise you can buy an access permit. So there was a security checkpoint at the terminal entrance. Another security checkpoint was in front of the check-in counters.

When I arrived at the flydubai counter, I inquired about my options to get on an earlier flight. Another colleague had to be called, which fortunately was standing right next to the counter. This colleague had to call someone, I assume in the back office, to get me an quote about the change fee. They also had to offload me to get the pricing info. So quite some actions involved.

The info I received was that the change fee would be approx. LKR 10'000 (~ €55/$65). They would accept foreign currencies, e.g. US Dollar or Euros, but at that point, I haven't had enough cash with me. I could have gotten LKR at an ATM, but the ATM was outside of terminal building. So I had to exit the secured area, but this is not that easy. I haven't had to clear the security checkpoints, but at those they wanted to know why I want to leave the building. Telling them about the need for an ATM did help to get me out. At the ATM I withdrew the required amount. To get back to the counter, I had to pass the very same two security checkpoints again.

Back at the counter, it took them some time to change my booking. The colleague from the back office completed his inputs into the system, but it didn't want to show the updates to the agent at the counter. I also was told that I would most likely not get any meal. It took them some time, but then they were successful. Another agent at the counter was instructed to issue the boarding pass already, but the system printed one with 24D on it. The first agent noticed this, and prompted agent 2 to issue a business class boarding pass. This time it was the previously reserved 2A, but this time for the earlier flight. I was also given a lounge invitation for the Araliya Lounge. I ended up with a business class boarding pass for the 2:10 am flight instead of the 6:15 am flight. This spared me from spending the night at the airport. The whole process took approx. 40 minutes, but I fortunately had plenty of time.

With the boarding pass in hand, I passed immigration and went to the lounge. I wasn't expecting anything, for once I didn't research my lounge options. Despite having a business class ticket, I wasn't expecting any lounge options. The available items in the lounge were not too bad after all. However, it was just a G&T and a piece of chocolate cake for me.

The third and final security checkpoint is at the gate. I therefore left the lounge early enough. When I arrived at the gate, the inbound flight was not there yet. A6-FEQ, a 737-800, arrived within a couple of minutes. And there was nobody at the security, so everybody had to wait outside. Security check was easy, only shoes had to be scanned separately, liquids or electronics remained in the luggage. After some time, boarding started with the rear rows.

My seat was 2A, but shown here are 2C and 3D and row 2 in the second picture.

Sufficient legroom.

There was a small compartment in the middle console. Both a bottle of water and headphones wrapped in plastic foil where stored there. I didn't use them, however, so I cannot say anything about their quality. Pre-departure drinks and a blanket was offered. This was pleasantly large and soft.

After takeoff, menus were distributed. So it was food for me after all.

My choice were the prawns and the red-wine. I cannot say no to Shiraz.

15 minutes after takeoff, dinner was served---quite efficient handling. A rather light load of 3 out of 12 might have also been a contributing factor. Economy was also far from full. Back to dinner: I was able to finish it and it was tasty.

Although the seat did offer quite some recline, I wasn't able to sleep too well. The rather strong turbulences over India most likely were not responsible, usually, those don't bother me. Before arrival, I was asked if I wanted something else and I asked for tea with milk. This was accompanied by a fast track card for the immigration in Dubai.

We arrived at an apron position and were bused to the terminal. I'm not sure, if this is standard for Dubai's Terminal 2. There was a separate bus for business class passengers. Fast lane at the immigration was a breeze. With no checked luggage, I quickly arrived in the arrival hall. It was before 6 in the morning.

My conclusions are mostly positive. I wasn't expecting a lounge at an outstation. The re-booking did also work quite well, despite it taking some time. Service on board was also good, I wasn't expecting printed menus on a low-cost carrier. With a comfortable seat, real meal options, and fast track cards for immigration, I consider this to be a valid business class. Of course, I cannot say too much about connecting flights, so I hardly can compare their handling with one of the legacy network carriers.

The largest disadvantage of flydubai and Dubai as the final destination is Terminal 2 at DXB. This is hardly connected to the other terminals. As far as I was able to find out, there is an airside transfer available, if your luggage is checked through (in case you have luggage). I am not sure about an onward boarding pass. Outside of Terminal 2, there are buses or taxis available, but no metro connection. And there is no organized transfer to Terminals 1 or 3.

This was hitting me hard. My hotel was the Holiday Inn Express at Terminal 3. My plan was to get a room early in the morning, long before the official check-in time, which would have been 2 pm. I was too cheap for a taxi and it was too far for a walk, so the bus was my only option. Since you cannot buy tickets on board, you have to get it before boarding the bus. A ticket can be bought at the At Your Service kiosk within the arrivals hall.

I took a bus which drove towards the city center. There I changed to another bus and rode back to the airport, but this time to the opposite side. I alighted at terminal 1 and followed google maps. I ended up at a parking lot nowhere near the hotel. Google maps has the hotel at the wrong position, the hotel's website has the correct position. Fortunately, there is a free shuttle between terminals 1 and 3. From terminal 3 I took the hotel shuttle for the last transfer.

At 9 am, over three hours after arrival, I arrived at the hotel. I guess it would have just been 30 minutes by taxi. My thinking was: the later I arrive at the hotel, the higher my chances are to get a room. There were no issues getting a room, so I could finally take a shower. At check-in, I also asked if it was possible to eat breakfast that day instead of the next day. My next flight would leave too early for breakfast at the hotel. This was not a problem, so it was breakfast after the shower.

Some time after noon, I took the hotel shuttle back to the airport. There I boarded a bus towards Dubai Festival City. This is where the local Hard Rock Cafe is located. I bought the Flag Logo Tee there. Afterwards, it was back to the airport, where I transferred to the metro towards downtown Dubai.

At Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa I alighted and took the endless walk to the mall. This was just huge and crowded. Well, it was Friday, one of the weekend days in the Arabic part of the world.

There are many things in the mall that are typical for the region: an ice rink,

or water falls.

I had a timed ticket for one of the attractions, so I searched the entrance to it. Since my luggage was full already, I didn't need to do any shopping. After finding the correct entrance, my reservation was replaced by an actual ticket.

In case you didn't guess already, the attraction is the Burj Khalifa itself. I booked a ticket for the sky deck on the 148th floor one month in advance. At AED 500 (~€115, ~$130), this certainly is expensive. Included in the ticket as lounge access with snacks and snacks at the top. And you are also granted access to the 124th and 125th floor. Compared to some lounge offers frequent flyers are accustomed to, the lounge at Burj Khalifa was just lackluster. And it is nothing to fill your stomach.

Groups of 20 people are guided through the building, passing some locations with short explanations. All of those are accessible with a conventional ticket as well, you just don't get the explanations.

What the expensive ticket gets you is access to separate elevators, so no waiting in lines. At first it was one floor down. This makes sense, since all elevators have two floors. The first stop was at the 123rd floor, which was reached within one minute. At the 124th floor is the usual observation deck, so traveling above us in the elevator were regular visitors.

The third elevator finally got me to the destination.

Views from the top are amazing but it was hazy. Burj al Arab and The Palm were hardly visible, which was also in part attributed to the back light. This is the price one pays when one wants to be on top during sunset.

Views towards the opposite direction, primarily the financial district.

Sunset itself was unspectacular. Another advantage of the time is that you can also do night shots, or at least those during dusk. View of the Dubai Fountain from atop.

Slowly popping up lights.

This is a shot of the lounge at the 148th floor.

After I enjoyed my time on the 148th floor, I went down to floors 124 and 125. A nice selection of floor selection buttons you hardly see anywhere else.

Views from the lower observation decks are not that bad either. The only downside is that those floors are much more crowded. So I didn't spend too much time there and went downward. Thanks to fast track access, there was only little waiting in line.

Near the fountain, I was looking for a spot to capture the whole tower in one shot.

With an early departure the next day, I called it a day early and went back to the hotel. The walk through the mall, the metro ride and the hotel shuttle ride took 40 minutes, including a 10 minute wait at the airport. Back in my room, I packed all my stuff and went to bed early.