FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW in only 737 NG aircraft
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:03 pm
MrGroover

Programs: Miles & More, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honors
October 16 & 17, 2017

Before going to bed, I set the alarm for 4:45 am. The Nimitz Highway directly in front of my window didn't bother me, I slept very well. After getting up, I showered, packed als my remaining belongings and walked over to the terminal. Temperatures were low enough to not arrive completely covered in sweat. 11 minutes after leaving the hotel, I was at the United check-in counter. The screen required a supervisor, who needed to check my passport and visa information. With Guam being my destination, ESTA is sufficient. A printout of it helped to expedite the process, but printing six boarding passes took some time.

Long lines at security, even at the TSApre line. I checked the time to see how long it would take me to get screened. Something in my bag could the X-ray machines or its operators attention, which is why it was selected for a detailed check. The wipe test did find something suspicious at my detergent. I used one of the plastic boxes you can buy teeth cleaning chewing gums in because the close tightly. Well, it resulted in a pad down for me, but everything was negative. After half an hour (total time since arrival), I was allowed to leave, without the detergent, which I fortunately wouldn't need any more. I was happy to had planned with sufficient buffer

I then walked over to gate 9 for a quick breakfast in the United Club. With boarding already going on for the 777 San Francisco flight, the lounge was empty. 10 minutes before boarding, I walked over to gate 13, where my aircraft was already waiting. It was N77295, a Boeing 737-800, which would fly the Island Hopper that day.

I had purchased a Economy Plus seat at over $100 for this flight. So I could enjoy some more legroom and views without engine exhausts.

Push back was right on time. Since our departure would be to the east, we first taxied to the west. After takeoff, I got a last glimpse of Honolulu illuminated by a rising sun.

A light Breakfast was served on the first segment. It consisted of a croissant with ham and cheese, a yogurt, another lite bites snack and a drink. This would be the last meal for quite some time.

Not much happened during the first segment. As we were approaching Majuro, cloud density was increasing. This ended in me not seeing much on approach and even the lighting was appropriate for what I could see.

I would have been able to get off, if I would take all my belongings with me. Since it was rainy, I decided to stay on board and stretch my legs aboard.

The next flight was to Kwajalein, a US Army base in the middle of the Pacific. We were instructed not to take any pictures and only those whose destination was Kwajalein were allowed to deplane. Many people were deplaning. Too bad, I really had enjoyed taking pictures there, nut just because of the improving weather. So I had to limit myself to take pictures of a tiny island after takeoff.

On this segment, which was just over an hour long, a light snack was served. Beverages were served on every segment, but sometimes it was just water.

The next stop was Kosrae. This stop is not part of every Island Hopper, it is only served twice or three times a week. For me, only the complete 5 stopp Island Hopper was an option.
Kosrae was beautifully colorful.

We landed on RWY 23 and hat to make a U-turn at the end---or at the beginning of RWY 05.

I deplaned in Kosrae to stretch out, walk a few steps, and get some fresh air. It was very pleasant, with approximately 86F. There was a small selection of snacks available in the waiting hall (or room). Since I had so much food the previous days, I passed on that option.

Departure was in the opposite direction on RWY 05 and followed by a left turn. So I was able to capture the airport from above.

There was the same view outside of the window.

There would have been a seat back monitor with IFE. Available was a very limited selection of movies. I had my screen always show the flight map.

Next stop was Pohnpei.

Departure was to the north east and again followed by a left turn. I was able to capture another airport.

Again nice views outside the window. I immediately noticed the different tone of blue and the surface was very smooth. I even noticed the clouds' reflections on the water. I cannot remember having seen this before.

A wonderful approach at Chuuk.

I again deplaned. Sitting for a long time took a toll on me.

Weather forecast for the last segment wasn't too good and also had rain showers for Guam. Hence I used the last chance on departure to capture another airport-from-above-picture.

There was a real snack on the last segment: sandwich, almonds, and a fig bar.

On arrival at Guam, immigration was a breeze, thanks to Global Entry. Picking up the rental also was easy, so I could drive to the hotel in the dusk. Fortunately, rain had stopped for a bit when I arrived there, so I didn't have to navigate around dark, wet, an unknown streets. I also noticed that roads were a bit narrower than in the mainland US.

My hotel for the night was the Hilton Guam Resort & Spa. I did a receive an upgrade to a room with bay view and exec lounge access. Breakfast would be served in the lounge. The typical Hilton pamphlet in the room advertised Free Wifi, when you book with Hilton. As if! Rates started at $6/2 hrs. Wifi was for free in the lobby, although slow.

With me being totally exhausted, I went to bed very soon without internet and dinner.

Some interesting observations: in Majuro, a technician boards the aircraft. He is there in case something breaks. As far as I know, they also have some spare parts on board, but not everything can be repaired with those. The flight deck crew switched after the HNL-MAJ segment. For the spare crew, first class cabin seats are reserved. There is also an Economy Plus seat reserved for the technician. The flight attendants have to work the whole flight and as fare as I could see, there weren't any breaks for them.

At every of the small airports, fire fighters were waiting at our arrival. Somewhere I read before that this is just for precaution. With being warm outside and the rather short runways, there is a high demand on the breaks. You even notice the deceleration. As you could also see on the images, most of the airports are single runway airports and the aircraft turns at the end of the runway. For Europeans this is known from London City airport, it's just a very different landscape.

In case you are interested: I booked the Island Hopper as an reward ticket with Turkish Miles & Smiles. It was a mere $15K miles and approx. €80 taxes and fees. As mentioned, the Economy Plus seat was an additional $100, but it was worth it since I took the whole hopper in one go. It would have been possible to switch seats for every segment during online check-in, but in the end, it wasn't necessary for me since all approaches were from the right direction. And a left turn after take off---suits me.