FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW in only 737 NG aircraft
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:03 pm
MrGroover

Programs: Miles & More, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honors
October 15, 2017

That Sunday started with breakfast on time at 7 am. I then spent time in my room to pack all my belongings. After checking out, I walked three blocks to pick up my rental car from Alamo. It was a greenish yellow Honda fit---nothing I would buy, but for one day it was okay.

My plan for the day was to drive around the island and enjoy some of the scenic points. Weather forecast had predicted some wind gusts for the next days. That would mean waves and waves can be fun if they are pushed through small holes. So my first destination was set: Halona Blowhole. My estimation was right, it was windy and there were some decent waves. So the blowhole lived up to its name.

Not to much further along the road, there is the view of Kaupō Cove, the so named beach park, and Rabbit Island.

After some more driving, I arrived at Chinaman's Hat.

While I was parking there, my car was watched by a red-crested cardinal.

I then followed the Kamehameha Highway along the coast line. My next stop was at Waiale'e Beach Park ein. At the beach a Hawaiian monk seal was sunbathing.

My next planned stop was at the beautiful Sunset Beach.

Unfortunately, there were no big waves at the north shore, so also no surfers to watch surfing. So I drove to the west coast of the island. No waves there either, only the sun hitting at up to 92F. This is why I didn't spend too much time there and drove back towards Honolulu. I made one stop to check for Navy ships at Powder Point and there I found the USNS Matthew Perry, a dry cargo/ammunition ship.

At the next photo op I wasn't lucky, so I continued on towards Honolulu. On the way I stopped to refill the tank and at a supermarket to get some dinner for me. After that I returned the rental and walked one block to my hotel. For the last night, I had booked the Best Western The Plaza Hotel at the airport.

I put my stuff in my room and walked over to the airport terminal. There I found a promising display.

For dinner I had a salad and a local beer. Besides the Longboard there are other types of beer by the Kona Brewing Company.

After dinner I packed my stuff and went to bed early. One of the most important flights of my trip would depart early in the morning...