FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW in only 737 NG aircraft
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:02 pm
MrGroover

Programs: Miles & More, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honors
October 14, 2017

After breakfast, I started my long journey towards my destination to the west of the airport. When I left the hotel, a line 20 bus immediately approached the station. This would take me directly to my destination. Starting October, TheBus offers a day trip ticket at $5 and no more transfers. With more than two trips you save money. During the ride, which lasted over an hour, many more passengers boarded, all having the same destination: Pearl Harbor.

When I arrived there, I left my backpack at the baggage room and tried to get a ticket for the USS Arizona. After two previous visits at Pearl Harbor without visiting the USS Arizona Memorial, I finally got a ticket for that one. The timed ticket was for 9:45 am after I arrived at Pearl Harbor at 9:20 am.

I started with a film describing the backgrounds. I guess, most of you are aware of those. Usually, history classes in Germany do not really cover the Pacific when talking about WWII. After the film it was only a short boat ride to the actual memorial.

The wall in the hall lists all the names of the victims from the attack.

Even after 70 years after the sinking of USS Arizona, oil is leaking from the shipwreck. It is supposed to last at least another 55 years...

A final picture on departure.

To me it seemed that something was changed over the last years. With my previous two visits there, I was never able to get a ticket for the Memorial. I believe they decided to increase the number of tours. The boats now run on a 15 minute schedule, so it also tends to degrade to just another tourist attraction.

After visiting the memorial, I bought a ticket for the USS Missouri. From there you have a good view into the port of Pearl Harbor.

My first sighting was the SBX, a sea-based X-band radar.

From the Mighty Mo I had a first row seat to watch the incoming USS Chung-Hoon, an Arleigh Burke class destroyer. It actual is an Oscar Austin class destroyer. The main difference between those two are the hangars for the Oscar Austin and newer ships.

There were also some submarines in port. The front one is one of the Virginia class, the rear one is the USS Charlotte, one of the older Los Angeles class submarines.

At around noon, I left Pearl Harbor and did another bus ride back to Waikiki. The ride again was one hour and I alighted in front of the hotel. In the ABC store at the corner, I bought a pair of flip-flops. My previous ones died after 7 years a few days before when I was walking in at beach of the Pacific in San Diego. To be honest, it was just a matter of time until that would have happened anyways. And having them last for 7 years while I only spend $10, it was a good deal.

After putting my stuff in the hotel room, I went to the beach. At Saturday afternoon, many people had the same idea. I didn't last for too long in the sun, so I went back to the hotel for the Happy Hour. I hadn't eaten since breakfast, so I ate at the lounge. I had so much that I didn't really need much else for dinner.

When I returned to my room and watched outside the window, I noticed that it wouldn't be too long until the sun would set. I googled the sunset time and realized it would just be 15 more minutes. It was enough time for me to go back to the beach and watch the somewhat unspectacular sunset at Duke Kahanamoku.

Back in the hotel, I enjoyed the nightly view from my balcony.

With that I had a snack.

I also had bought a salad from one of the ABC stores.

For the night I left open the balcony door to sleep with the sound of the ocean.