FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2015-19 AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:36 pm
ratypus

Programs: BAEC Gold
Connecting in Miami

Apologies if this is dealt with elsewhere - I'm normally on the British Airways board so am less certain what content does/does not exist over here on AA.

I am planning to connect through MIA; arriving on AA from London, departing on AA to Orlando (and reverse on the return).

The return connection is easy, I assume (domestic to international) - remain fully airside at MIA, no immigration or customs, no need to re-check any checked baggage, and no TSA security - is that correct?

On the outbound connection (international to domestic), I am aware as follows:

- I will obviously need to clear immigration: I don't have GE, but do have an ESTA so can use the machines. I've done this a few times now on arrival into MIA as a final destination, so no concern about this. Same for customs. I will probably travel with hand baggage only, but either way I am aware I need to clear customs (and then re-check any checked baggage for the onward flight).

Main question is - there is I believe TSA security for this connection at MIA. How quick/slow will it be, and is there any fast-track. I will be a OneWorld Emerald, travelling in business class. Any help?

If no fast-track on the TSA connections channel and it looks slow...is it possible and quicker to just exit from the customs hall back to the main departures zone, and use the Flagship check-in route back through the 'normal' departure TSA? I'll be headed to the new Flagship lounge afterwards, if that makes any difference (access rights by being OneWorld Emerald).

Any answers much appreciated....