FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:39 am
JAXBA

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by kyanar
I'm seeing pages constantly slowing to a crawl, crashing and reloading due to using significant memory, and Safari's dev tools say the page is making thousands of XHR requests per minute to adaptv.advertising.com and related domains which are coming back with "no ad could be found that fills this request" and because it keeps trying over and over again for eternity, crashes my browser
Originally Posted by IBJoel
I've asked tech why this is happening seemingly all of a sudden.
I'm getting similar activity in Chrome 62.0.3202.94/Windows 7 Pro - almost constant requests to the advertising servers that can cause the browser tab/Chrome/Windows to crash, especially if I have several tabs open at once (which is how I regularly use FT).

Sometimes it stops, but usually it doesn't, and goes on and on and on, even if Chrome is minimized. If it happens to pause for a moment then scrolling the page can cause it to start again, moving the mouse over an advert can cause it to start again, and switching to another tab can cause it to start again - sometimes in more than one tab at a time! This really, really takes up a LOT of RAM and can make the site unusable.

I made a short video of an example: