FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott to retain both AMEX and Chase credit cards
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:22 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Have both, and don't agree with that all. Hilton Diamond isn't even worth $40K credit card spend. Marriott Plat I will absolutely stretch to 75 nights (or 25 SPG stays - haven't decided which) to keep.
I've been Marriott Plat for 15 of the past 20 years (now lifetime Gold) and HH Diamond for 10 of the past 20, including the past 4. Most of my best upgrades over the years have been at international Hiltons. In the US and Canada, neither status means much at all except extra points.

SPG Plat is another story. I only held that for 3 1/2 years pre-merger, then dropped to Gold, and felt that the SPG Plat experience was something more special. More suites in those 3 years than in all of my Marriott and HH experiences combined.

If Marriott can somehow keep the secret sauce of SPG Plat alive into the future, then no question about it - it's a better status than HH Diamond. But if they can't, meh, it's basically the same thing. C-level usually. A mention from the FDC. Some extra points.