FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:23 pm
jsnydcsa

Last question first, should help with first question.

Originally Posted by jordbus
Secondly, is there a way to get our bags transferred on to the BA or SAA flight without having to do the whole re-check in process?
No.

Originally Posted by jordbus
I am trying to book a domestic SA flight from JNB but need a recommendation on what to do. Our flight lands at 5:35pm via Delta at JNB. We then want to fly on to CPT. The two options I see are a 7:50pm BA flight or a 9:15pm SAA flight. So two questions, is 7:50pm cutting it too close to transfer from international to domestic and get our bags from Delta to BA? Or should we play it safe and do the later SAA flight?
Just a shade over 2 hrs is cutting it fine, esp. with the long immigration lines at that hour and the need to recheck the bags. I'd go with the later flight. I don't have the sked in front of me right now but there is often an earlier SAA flight (maybe 1.25 hrs earlier, I think) that, if you're nice and there's space and the agent is in a good mood, they might just dump you on that flight to get you out of dodge.