FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Got Back From SFO: What's With Everyones Beef With SFO?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:13 am
Two Bee

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I feel like you're comparing more domestic vs international service. What airport in the US has the level of service you describe above? I've never seen it unless you're GS. Most of the time it's "A representative will meet you at the gate" and half the time there is no representative at the gate and you either call or go to a customer service desk.
Was the ground staff in HKG United Airlines staff?
We are discussing SFO and primarily weather delays, I think? I have had about 12 to 15 itineraries booked from LAS to mid-west and east coast cities that had schedule changes thru SFO in the past 8 months. On every one of them I called res and without a blink of an eye they changed them to connections via ORD-DEN-IAH_EWR or IAD when I objected to transferring through this airport. I mentioned a chance of fog or rain was my major concern, and they ALL agreed, with only one or two agents needing to get supers approval. Miss the last flight of the evening thru SFO and you're screwed. I actually asked an agent at the U/C in SFO what was the determining factor for them to hold a flight for a runner, and his answer was 8 or more and we hold it, less than that, it goes on time. I've been around long enough to know that some answers are made up, but this guy seemed sincere. Also, to answer your question, I don 't know which airline staff me us as we exited the aircraft, and I don't really care, but they were great. Could have been Abba Zabba Airline people, as far as I know. Btw, if it's a need to get assistance for a late arrival it's straight to the U/C while I am on the horn with the 1K desk, not slowing at the podium with the other hoards of panicked pax's. Some on here seem to have a strong attachment to SFO, and that's wonderful, but for me, I've been burned too many times going thru there to have to nearly puke running from one gate to the farthest gate, knowing that if I ain't on board at the cut off I'm waving goodbye to the captain.
In reference to whether the comparison of domestic vs international had any bearing on my delayed flights last week --- my LAS to SFO had nearly a 3 hour ground stop due to rain in SFO. We actually made it after an hour and a half wait and then a taxi to the runway, and had to return to the gate to deplane. The SFO-HKG flight was delayed because an Air Canada plane was at our departure gate and couldn't push back for some reason. Two hours later, our plane came from a hangar. The reason listed for being delayed - "WEATHER"!

Some people are luckier than others and just cruise thru every airport with minimum connection times, and some times I luck out also, but I am getting too old to chance it at SFO, buying a ticket several months in advance, and one or two days before departure I see rain, low clouds, and/or fog in the forecast. They shut down one of the two runways and increase separation, and my odds are only good if I am on the very first flight to arrive that day, otherwise it's usually curtains.

Nope! I don't need to go thru there ever again, and I won't. I spoke with a few captains last week and they ALL agreed that SFO has more chances for mis-connects that the other airports in the system, particularly when experiencing inclement weather. The airport itself is great, in my book, and I have no dislikes about it.

This topic seems to be quite emotional for some, and I have managed to avoid any and all drama for my future flying days by never getting on a plane to SFO ever again, except this weekend when I must return from Asia on a pre-purchased ticket.