FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:22 am
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
We don't have any public information about what priorities are used to rank GUC requests, but I strongly suspect fare class does matter, given that Delta has long used that as a tiebreaker for domestic upgrade requests (and the complimentary domestic upgrade tiebreaking priorities are now published on the Delta site).

But in any case moving from 1 to 2 to 3 doesn't necessarily have to do with what tiebreakers are used -- rather, you only show up on the app/website/airport upgrade list once you check in. So if some people hadn't checked in yet, they wouldn't have shown up yet, and appearing to be #1 on the list 23 hours in advance is a false sense of security. (With the app now auto-checking people in, this longstanding false sense of security may be coming to be less prominent than it used to be, though. But in some cases, especially for international flights, the auto check in does not always fully work, so some people still end up checking in later.)

If the tiebreaker is fare class or something else besides time of request, dropping places on the list could also be due to people changing flights, newly booking the flight, etc.

FYI AA used time of request as the primary tiebreaker for systemwide upgrades for a long time, so also possible you're thinking of them.
Time of request I believe is the tiebreaker. At least it used to be. We've never had any info about if elite level or fare class comes into play.

Also auto-checkin is really just auto-launch the check page. You are NOT checked in till you click the required federal acknowledgement. I've seen one person get upset that their seat had been given away. They flew in on OAL and assumed auto-checkin meant just that. Went to pull up/print BP at gate and got the too late message.